Gill is itching to topple England's best
By ADAM LAZZARI CHATTERIS boxer Jordan Gill is itching to get into the ring for his national ABA quarter-final against England No. 1 Luke Saunders on Saturday. Saunders, from West Ham, the Three Nations gold medallist and Golden Gloves champion has won 1
By ADAM LAZZARI
CHATTERIS boxer Jordan Gill is itching to get into the ring for his national ABA quarter-final against England No. 1 Luke Saunders on Saturday.
Saunders, from West Ham, the Three Nations gold medallist and Golden Gloves champion has won 19 of his 21 fights and has not lost in three years.
But Gill, 15, has no fear ahead of their fight at Harold Hill, Romford.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I've been training hard all season for this fight. I watched Luke box a couple of weeks ago and he's a class act.
"He's a good mover and points scorer but I can't wait for the fight and will do what I can to beat him."
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 4 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 5 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 6 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 9 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
The two England internationals are eager for ABA glory after being knocked out of the national CYP Championships through no fault of their own.
A fixture clash forced Gill to choose between the ABAs and the CYPs and organisers kicked all London boxers out of the competition after a riot at a show in Bethnal Green in February.
Gill has won 26 of his 32 fights.
His official ranking is England No. 8 but many regard him as the unofficial England No. 1.
Chatteris coach Paul Gill said: "Jordan fought above his weight last year so his ranking is not what it should be.
"Luke Saunders is the only person left for Jordan to beat in his division. Most people see Jordan as the underdog but it will be such a close fight and it could go either way."
* Tickets are still available for Chatteris ABC's Big Fight Night, sponsored by Global Tiles, at Cromwell Community College on May 22.
Call Matty Payne on 01354 693630.