Gary Setchell quits Wisbech Town for new Lynn FC
WISBECH Town player-manager Gary Setchell has confirmed that he is leaving the club to become joint manager of Lynn FC with Kevin Boon. Setchell, 34, has agreed to join the newly-formed King s Lynn side and this has now been confirmed on the Wisbech Town FC website.
WISBECH Town player-manager Gary Setchell has confirmed that he is leaving the club to become joint manger of Lynn FC with Kevin Boon.
Setchell, 34, has agreed to join the newly-formed King's Lynn side and this has been confirmed on the Wisbech Town FC website.
Setchell has become a hugely popular figure at Wisbech, having steered them from relegation contenders last season to a team who are now on the fringes of the top 10. He was expected to take Wisbech into their new ground next year.
But the move to the Fenmen's arch rivals would not go down well in Wisbech.
You may also want to watch:
Larham said: "Gary told me in the past he would not be leaving Wisbech for some time because he has a job to do here, but I've heard that he's been offered a massive budget at Lynn to go and buy players.
"It's highly likely that he will take half of the team with him."
- 1 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 2 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 4 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
- 5 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 6 A141 closed at roundabout after lorry overturns
- 7 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 8 Mum shares her experience in call for IVF to be reinstated
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn to speak at King's Lynn hospital rally
- 10 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
It has not yet been confirmed which league Lynn FC will play in next season, but is expected they will join the Ridgeons First Division.
Former Wisbech managers Roy McManus and Dick Creasey are currently not connected to clubs and both would be hotly tipped to replace Setchell.
Assistant manager Ross McNeil would also been seen as a possible replacement.
Setchell had two playing spells at The Walks - helping Lynn win the Southern League, Eastern Division title in 2004 under Boon and Darren Bloodworth and the Southern League Cup in 2005.
Setchell has been manager of Wisbech for 421 days.
This makes him the longest serving Wisbech manager since Creasey, who left the Fenmen in May 2007 and had been manager for 878 days.