GALLERY: Wisbech men relegated while goals from Apted and Hanlon give ladies St Ives win
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town have been relegated from Premier A ... but they are determined to get on the board before the end of the season.
Will Denny scored from a short corner but Wisbech, despite a spirited showing, lost 5-1 to leaders Wapping.
It has been a nightmare season for the club - they have lost all 20 league games.
Stand-in captain Jon Shippey says his side is determined to break its duck in their remaining two games. On Saturday, they travel to second bottom Felixstowe.
He said: “We competed a lot better against Wapping and kept fighting. The last three games have been tough against the league’s top three sides.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got to keep our heads up and try and get at least a point from Felixstowe.”
Steph Hanlon grabbed the winner as Wisbech ladies beat strugglers St Ives 2-1.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 8 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
The hosts opened the scoring through Claire Apted but St Ives levelled from a penalty flick.
Wisbech had all the possession and chances in the second half - their hard work was finally rewarded through a well worked goal finished by Hanlon.
The ladies have a double-header this weekend - they take on Cambs Uni and Cambs City.