GALLERY: Wisbech earn deserved point in final game of the season
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech finished a challenging season on a high with a 3-3 draw against Chelmsford at Harecroft Road on Saturday.
The hosts went in to the game having lost all 21 of their Premier A fixtures, but goals from Danny Haynes, stand-in captain Jon Shippey and Dom Stannard earnt them a morale-boosting point.
Shippey said: “We were very happy with that. We played like we had nothing to lose and just went for it. We had good support on the day and it was a very pleasing end to the season.”
Shippey is confident his injury plagued side will regroup and will come out all guns blazing next season in Premier B.
He said: “We’ll get players back from injury we haven’t had for the second half of the season. We’ll come back next year. We should be all right in Premier B.”
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech veterans have made it to the last four of the England Vets Trophy. In the quarter finals, goals from Jody Betts (2) and Brad Apted saw them pick up an impressive 3-1 quarter-final win at Marlow. Their semi-final is at Cannock on April 19.
The ladies finished an encouraging season with a disappointing 5-0 loss at Bedford II. They ended up fourth in East Division 1N.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 6 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 10 Hoax caller flouted strict court order after just three days