GALLERY: Wisbech earn deserved point in final game of the season
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech finished a challenging season on a high with a 3-3 draw against Chelmsford at Harecroft Road on Saturday.
The hosts went in to the game having lost all 21 of their Premier A fixtures, but goals from Danny Haynes, stand-in captain Jon Shippey and Dom Stannard earnt them a morale-boosting point.
Shippey said: “We were very happy with that. We played like we had nothing to lose and just went for it. We had good support on the day and it was a very pleasing end to the season.”
Shippey is confident his injury plagued side will regroup and will come out all guns blazing next season in Premier B.
He said: “We’ll get players back from injury we haven’t had for the second half of the season. We’ll come back next year. We should be all right in Premier B.”
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech veterans have made it to the last four of the England Vets Trophy. In the quarter finals, goals from Jody Betts (2) and Brad Apted saw them pick up an impressive 3-1 quarter-final win at Marlow. Their semi-final is at Cannock on April 19.
The ladies finished an encouraging season with a disappointing 5-0 loss at Bedford II. They ended up fourth in East Division 1N.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets