Gallery: Wisbech draw with MCC and make a fine start to season
WISBECH Town Cricket Club made a superb start to the season on Saturday when Zak Brown s 93 helped the first team beat Godmanchester by 105 runs in the Tucker Gardner Division One. James Williams hit 53 and Adam Hodgson 22 as Wisbech opened with 233 all
WISBECH Town Cricket Club made a superb start to the season on Saturday when Zak Brown's 93 helped the first team beat Godmanchester by 105 runs in the Tucker Gardner Division One.
James Williams hit 53 and Adam Hodgson 22 as Wisbech opened with 233 all out.
Hodgson was Wisbech's chief wicket-taker with 4-44.
Tom Bourne (3-25) and Williams (2-37) helped to ensure ensured Godmanchester were all out for 128.
Three days earlier Wisbech started their annual pre-season friendly with the world famous Marylebone Cricket Club, which was tied.
Simon Freear (47), Gary Freear (40) and Matthew Parrin jnr (32) were the stars of Wisbech's first innings when they posted 188-8.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 7 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 9 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
Earlier Craig Johnson (2-20) and Parrin jnr (2-22) were amongst the wickets when MCC posted 166-4.
Parrin jnr then took 4-53 as MCC reached 246-7 in their second innings and Gavin Plume (47) and Gary Freear (38) were Wisbech's highest scorers in their reply of 225 all out.
Elsewhere, Simon Gilbert's 64 helped Leverington record a 68-run Fenland Invitation Trophy victory over Wisbech thirds on Saturday.
Kieran Haynes (3-22) and David LeMoir (3-21) took the wickets as Leverington finished on 207 all out.
Matthew Gill top scored with 49 in Wisbech's reply of 139-9 with Leverington's Adam Fairbrother taking 3-15.
Carl Pope scored 37 and Gary Freear took 3-15 as Wisbech's first Sunday side lost their Rutland Division One match with Barnack by five wickets, and Charles Baxter's 58 wasn't enough save Wisbech's second Sunday team to a 37-run Rutland Division Six loss to Market Overton.
Ian Shinton's 64 not out and a 57 from Rob Menarry ensured Chatteris recorded a three-wicket Fenland Invitation Trophy win over Wisbech's third Sunday team.
Jason Esser top scored for Wisbech with 43 and Nick Drew took 4-46.
Paul Strickle took 4-6 to help Wisbech's second Saturday side to a 116-run friendly win over March seconds.
Shane Sleath and James Dod both top-scored with 43 a piece.