GALLERY: Wisbech beat MCC in season curtain raiser
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech chased down 256 to beat the MCC by three wickets in their annual two-day season curtain raiser.
The historic fixture dates back to 1926 and is particularly significant because it is the only two day out match the MCC plays in the whole year.
The MCC batted first and posted 156-9 off 55 overs before declaring.
James Williams took 3-8 off eight economical overs, while Kiwi debutant Tom Meyrick claimed 2-37 and new captain Gary Freear picked up 2-12.
In reply, Williams top-scored with 46 as Wisbech were bowled out for 184 in 46 overs.
You may also want to watch:
On the second day, MCC posted 284-7 declared. Freear took 3-81.
In the run-chase, the Wisbech top-order all made contributions. Danny Haynes was the star man, seeing them home with 55 not out.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
He was ably supported by Freear who, batting down at eight, made 38.