Gallery: The changing face of Wisbech Town FC
AFTER the Fenmen smashed five past Cogenhoe to coast into the second round of the FA Vase on Saturday, we look back at the changing face of Wisbech Town Football Club.
Established when local clubs merged in 1920, the Fenmen began playing at a series of grounds around the town, eventually settling at a former orchard in Walsoken.
Given the name Fenland Park, this would become the home of Wisbech football for the next 61 years. The club netted their record attendance here, when more than 8,000 people flocked into the ground in 1957 to watch them take on local rivals Peterborough United.
In 2008 the club left Fenland Park and began playing at Outwell’s Swift’s Nest ground after installing floodlights and terracing.
But this was only temporary and the Fenmen moved into their brand new home, the Tom Wood’s Beer Stadium, in August - beating St Andrews 5-0 in an FA Cup preliminary round. Tommy Treacher had the honour of scoring the first goal at the ground.
Saturday’s 5-1 victory against Cogenhoe United was watched by more than 350 people and the club are one of the best supported teams in the Ridgeons Premier League.