Gallery: Hockey Round-Up

ENGLAND HOCKEY WOMEN S TROPHY, FIRST ROUND Colchester Ladies I 1 Wisbech Town Ladies I 3 WISBECH bounced back from Saturday s 3-1 NE14 East Women s League defeat to Ipswich II to win by the same scoreline in a national cup match the following day. They fa


Colchester Ladies I 1 Wisbech Town Ladies I 3

WISBECH bounced back from Saturday's 3-1 NE14 East Women's League defeat to Ipswich II to win by the same scoreline in a national cup match the following day.

They face a long trip to Chichester for their second-round match on November 30.

You may also want to watch:

After the hosts, who lead the NE14 Women's League, cancelled out Erika Burrell's goal, Wisbech's fluent passing was rewarded by a Leanne Williamson strike.

Colchester then spent a lot of time in the Wisbech D but never looked like scoring.

Most Read

Burrell scored with a deflected shot from a short corner to wrap up the win.

n Mel Ludlham was on target for Wisbech in Saturday's defeat.


Southgate 5 Wisbech I 1

WISBECH visited National League Premier Division Southgate, the country's most celebrated hockey club, and gave a good account of themselves in defeat.

Wisbech, cheered on by a large travelling support, started confidently but the hosts went into half-time 2-0 up.

A shot across goal which was going wide was deflected in by a defender to give Southgate a third goal.

Drew Harvey and Brad Apted both came within inches of grabbing a goal back but Southgate caught Wisbech on the break twice to make it 5-0.

Wisbech got a deserved consolation late on when Luke Smith was fouled and Apted scored the penalty.

Wisbech's cup run is over but they can hold their heads high after giving one of the country's best teams a fright.

The cup run has again been supported exceptionally well and the team thanks everyone for their very vocal support.

n Wisbech I maintained their 100 per cent home record in the NE14 East Hockey Premier A Division when they beat City of Peterborough II 3-2 in a thrilling contest.

A tense battle ensued which saw Wisbech on top in the first half.

Brad Apted saw a reverse stick shot brilliantly saved and other chances also went begging as Wisbech piled on the pressure.

Wisbech took a deserved lead when Sam Blunt smashed the ball home from a short corner, a wonderful way to celebrate his 18th birthday.

Sam Markille made it 2-0 with a cool finish in the second half after Apted's pass from a short corner.

Peterborough pulled a goal back with a quick break but Wisbech's response was swift and sublime. They had a stroke of luck when the umpires missed Att Levanda's foot in their own circle but capitalised with a lightning break which saw Apted and Dan Martell carve through the visitor's defence with slick passing before Markille grabbed his second goal.

Peterborough pulled a goal back from a short corner to set up an exciting finish.

Wisbech's defensive team of James Sheppard, Doug King, James Mansfield, Jon Shippey and Nick Osborn with stood monumental pressure to secure the win.

Tomorrow, Wisbech visit Cambridge University.


Wisbech III 5 Bourne III 1

WISBECH won their fifth game in a row with a convincing win against Bourne, but it was a game in which they should have scored many more.

Wisbech made a slow start and fell 1-0 down, but this gave them the kick start they needed.

They soon equalised with a tidy finish from a cross from the right through Tim Wong, and Phil Norman then scored to give the lead to Wisbech.

In the second half the opposition did not have a single shot and Wisbech pressed for more goals.

Mark Jones swept in their third and Matt Goodwin, who had earlier missed a penalty flick, scored the goal of the game with a fine individual effort.

James Williams, in his last game before he leaves for Australia, scored after a great pass from the skipper.

It was another great team performance by Wisbech, who have now moved up to second and face St Ives tomorrow.

Man of the match went to Wong, who had his best game to date looking dangerous every time he got the ball.


Market Deeping III 3 Wisbech IV 1

WISBECH started brightly against a team who have not lost this season.

Wisbech were much changed from the last four games but still started well. However, they fell behind after a goalmouth scramble and then, two minutes later, fell further behind.

Wisbech played better in the second half but conceded halfway through. Jonathan Boyle pulled a goal back for Wisbech and, even though Wisbech created more chances, they could not score any more goals.

Wisbech play at St Neots tomorrow and need to get back to winning ways if they are going to get promoted this season.


Wisbech V 4 Ely III 2

WISBECH entertained Ely in this clash, but it was a shadow of the Ely team that were usually to be found at the top of the table.

Wisbech were soon commanding the midfield and using the ball to create some penetrating attacks.

It was only a question of time before a goal came and it was from Eliott Peck who slotted home following a good run through the opposition defence. Edward Atkins made it 2-0 by half time with a well-taken goal.

Ely continued to attack through the second half and it took some stalwart defending from Alex Davies, Ashley Williams and Chris Stanhope to foil some determined efforts.

Despite their best efforts Ely managed to score two goals but this was not enough as Wisbech scored two more through a short corner goal from David Woods and a goal in the last five minutes from the reverse stick of Edward Atkins.

Wisbech host Market Deeping tomorrow.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter