Gallery: Former world champion Ellen Falkner at Fendis bowls day
FORMER world champion bowler Ellen Falkner passed on top tips at a session in Wisbech for Fenland s disabled bowlers. Falkner, who plays for City of Ely Bowls Club, was joined by ex-European boxing champion Dave Boy Green, from Chatteris, for the event
FORMER world champion bowler Ellen Falkner passed on top tips at a session in Wisbech for Fenland's disabled bowlers.
Falkner, who plays for City of Ely Bowls Club, was joined by ex-European boxing champion Dave "Boy" Green, from Chatteris, for the event at the Hudson Leisure Centre earlier this month.
It was organised by Fendis, an organisation which aims to ensure provision in sports for disabled people in Fenland, in conjunction with the management of the Hudson Leisure Centre.
Twenty six disabled bowlers played for four hours.
You may also want to watch:
Winners were presented with trophies by Green, who is president of Fendis.
About 80 people attended the event and chairman of Wisbech Indoor Bowls Club, David Charlton, thanked volunteers.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 4 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 5 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 6 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 7 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 8 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 9 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 10 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
A similar event was held in Whittlesey earlier this year and a further event is planned to be held in March in January.
It is hoped that other areas will see the success of these events in Fenland and inter-district matches can be played.