Gallery: Cross helps Benwick Athletic to 11-1 win over Outwell
SIX Charlie Cross goals helped Benwick Athletic to an 11-1 Fenland and District Youth Soccer League win over Outwell Swifts on Saturday. Ben Lister and Ciaran Sharpe scored two each while Jack Cook was on target for the hosts. Swifts have a female manager
SIX Charlie Cross goals helped Benwick Athletic to an 11-1 Fenland and District Youth Soccer League win over Outwell Swifts on Saturday.
Ben Lister and Ciaran Sharpe scored two each while Jack Cook was on target for the hosts.
Swifts have a female manager in Pam Salmon.
She said: "A woman named Paula runs Wisbech St Mary Yellows, but us female managers are a rare breed.
"I've always been a big football fan and I've been a season ticket holder at Port Vale.
"I took over this team a couple of years ago when the previous manager had to leave and there was nobody else to manage the team.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 3 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 6 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 7 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 10 Man arrested after 'game of hide and seek' with police dogs and helicopter
"It takes up a lot of time and a fair bit of money but we've got a great bunch of lads here and when I see how much they enjoy themselves it's completely worth it.
"We've got a great little team and we had a good 2-0 win over Whittlesey at the start of the season. But people put too much emphasis on winning and I'm just happy too see the lads enjoying themselves.
"We've got several new players in this season, and many of them had never played football before, and we're looking to keep growing.