Gallery: Cross helps Benwick Athletic to 11-1 win over Outwell
SIX Charlie Cross goals helped Benwick Athletic to an 11-1 Fenland and District Youth Soccer League win over Outwell Swifts on Saturday. Ben Lister and Ciaran Sharpe scored two each while Jack Cook was on target for the hosts. Swifts have a female manager
SIX Charlie Cross goals helped Benwick Athletic to an 11-1 Fenland and District Youth Soccer League win over Outwell Swifts on Saturday.
Ben Lister and Ciaran Sharpe scored two each while Jack Cook was on target for the hosts.
Swifts have a female manager in Pam Salmon.
She said: "A woman named Paula runs Wisbech St Mary Yellows, but us female managers are a rare breed.
You may also want to watch:
"I've always been a big football fan and I've been a season ticket holder at Port Vale.
"I took over this team a couple of years ago when the previous manager had to leave and there was nobody else to manage the team.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
"It takes up a lot of time and a fair bit of money but we've got a great bunch of lads here and when I see how much they enjoy themselves it's completely worth it.
"We've got a great little team and we had a good 2-0 win over Whittlesey at the start of the season. But people put too much emphasis on winning and I'm just happy too see the lads enjoying themselves.
"We've got several new players in this season, and many of them had never played football before, and we're looking to keep growing.