Future cricket aces help Wisbech Grammar School to winning weekend
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Grammar School’s cricket starlets took centre stage at the weekend, helping the school to two days of successes.
The school’s girls’ teams took part in a tournament on Saturday May 7, and, buoyed by the visit of England captain, Charlotte Edwards just weeks before, performed exceptionally well.
The under 13A and B teams, alongside the U12A and Bs played five matches each, with the latter impressing by winning three of their five encounters.
Following on from draws against the XL Club and the MCC, Wisbech Grammar School Boys’ first XI defeated Wymondham College in a tense game.
In a dramatic tie, the first team scored the decisive runs off the last over, and the bowling attack kept the Wymondham score in check with Arran Shipley and Bradley Hutler both batting well for Wisbech.
It was also an excellent weekend for the junior teams against the same opposition, with wins for the U15s, U12A, and U13/12Bs.
The U13A put in an improved performance, losing by only one run. The U12A remain unbeaten this term.
- 1 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 4 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 5 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 10 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
Director of Sport and Head of Cricket, Phil Webb said: “It was a great day for Wisbech Grammar School cricket. The sun shone for us and I was delighted to see so many pupils and parents enjoying our fantastic sports facilities on Saturday.
“Congratulations to all pupils who took part and best of luck for the rest of the season.”