From relegation scrap to cup semi-final: Captain hails Wisbech II’s ‘complete turnaround’
CAPTAIN Oliver Mackett has saluted Wisbech Rugby Club II’s incredible turnaround as they prepare to bid for cup glory on Saturday.
The seconds beat promotion-chasing Norwich Medics for the first time on Saturday, thrashing the high-flyers 41-0 to finish their league season in style.
And Mackett’s charges will be gunning for silverware on Saturday when they travel to Cambridge Exiles in the semi-final of the Cambridgeshire County Junior Cup.
The Wisbech skipper said: “Last year we were in a relegation battle, we had a points difference of minus 400 and we only just stayed up.
“This year we’ve finished fifth in the league, been one of the few sides to have a positive points difference and reached a semi-final.
“It’s just a complete turnaround and it’s been fantastic. I’m really proud of the guys.”
Tries from Ryan Tate (2), Simon Clarke, Nick Thompsett, Jack Malkin and vice-captain Josh Anderson powered Wisbech to their crushing weekend victory, with Sam Anderson also in fine kicking form.
- 1 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 4 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 5 Partygoer who claimed ADHD caused him to kill jailed for life
- 6 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 9 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 10 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
Mackett said: “It was a massive win. They won the league last year and they are a very strong outfit.
“We are all playing rugby for each other now. The attitude and the consistency of the players has been brilliant.”