Friend grabs hat-trick as Wisbech advance in Knock Out Cup
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town progressed in the United Counties League Knock Out Cup with a comfortable win over Division One side Potton United thanks to a goal drought-ending hat-trick from Jack Friend.
The Fenmen enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges with summer signings Harry Limb and Sam Murphy both going close in the 13th minute.
Potton took the lead in the 27th minute through Stuart Gillies, who capitalised on some suspect defending as the heavens opened to score from close range.
The equaliser came nine minutes later, Michael Frew volleying Stuart Cobb’s excellent lobbed cross in at the far post for his fourth goal of the season.
The second half was just two minutes old when Friend scored his first goal since returning to the Fenmen in the summer, finding the net from the side of the penalty box with a dipping 25-yard shot.
It was 3-1 11 minutes later as Friend latched onto a Frew flick header before chipping the ball over the advancing keeper.
Friend, 19, claimed his first senior hat-trick with 20 minutes remaining, scoring with a low shot after Limb’s ball into the ball was only partially cleared.
- 1 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 2 Driver escapes injury after lorry ploughs into back of broken-down van
- 3 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 4 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 5 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 6 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 7 Man suspected of touching child outside supermarket
- 8 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 9 Two vehicles in ditches after crash on A141 between March and Guyhirn
Wisbech had chances to increase the margin of victory but there were no further goals and they now entertain Deeping Rangers in the first round.