Freear brothers help Wisbech Town stop the rot with first league victory
WISBECH Town crushed Nassington to win their first Tucker Gardner league game of the season and haul themselves out of the relegation zone.
Key batsman Gary Freear and overseas bowler Drew Jones starred as Wisbech bounced back from four straight league defeats to win by eight wickets on Saturday.
Aussie seamer Jones took 4-39 to reduce hosts Nassington to 65-6 and captain James Williams (3-15) eventually cleaned up the lower order to dismiss them for 164.
That total never looked enough as Freear bullied the Nassington bowlers, hitting 13 fours and one six in a brutal knock of 80 from just 64 balls.
With support from brother Simon Freear (44 not out) and Williams (34 not out) Wisbech cruised home with more than 15 overs to spare.
You may also want to watch:
Skipper Williams said: “Gary and Simon batted brilliantly to get us back on track. That’s what we’ve been after for the last few games.
“When Gary gets going he’s the best batsman in the league and he’s very difficult to stop. It’s now starting to click and it’s time for us to kick on.”
- 1 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 2 Police share images of Wisbech cannabis factory
- 3 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 4 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 5 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 6 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 7 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 8 'Sports cages' designed by Cambs company are helping children stay active
- 9 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 10 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
Wisbech face Cambridge Granta II on Saturday at Harecroft Road.