Four Fenland boxers in action at Haddenham show, but only one winner
FOUR Fenland boxers were on the card at Haddenham ABC s dinner show at the weekend, but only one walked away with a win. Matt Moon, of Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club, won his bout against home club boxer Jack Ure on a majority decision. Ure started well, but
FOUR Fenland boxers were on the card at Haddenham ABC's dinner show at the weekend, but only one walked away with a win.
Matt Boon, of Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club, won his bout against home club boxer Jack Ure on a majority decision.
Ure started well, but in his drive to stay on top Boon caught him with some good straight shots. And it was Boon who edged the bout after an even last round.
But Stefan Johnson of Whittlesey ABC, Richard Calaunan of Chatteris ABC, and Connor Crosby of March ABC lost their contests.
You may also want to watch:
Johnson but up a spirited effort against home favourite Tom Wilson, but eventually lost a unanimous verdict.
Both boxers were content to stand and trade punches in the opening rounds, with both fighters showing remarkable resilience.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 8 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 9 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
But Wilson cane to the fore in the latter rounds, as a tiring Johnson proved unable to match the technique of his counterpart and allowed a few shots to slip through.
Calaunan lost by majority decision to Sam Gilley from Waltham Forest, but impressed the watching audience with a display packed with quick combinations and tactical nous.
Crosby, meanwhile, lost out to Finchley ABC's Mason Smith after a gruelling battle.
The two youngsters chose to fight at close quarters throughout the bout and, despite some telling shots from the March fighter it was Smith who secured the majority verdict with some clever body shots swaying the judges.