Four European champions from Wisbech aim for world title
By ADAM LAZZARI FOUR European champion pool players, from Wisbech, will be aiming to pot the World Masters title next week. Andy Lucas will play for England A and Darren McCarthy, Scott Chambers and Eric Mohammed will represent England B. They will compet
By ADAM LAZZARI
FOUR European champion pool players, from Wisbech, will be aiming to pot the World Masters title next week.
Andy Lucas will play for England A and Darren McCarthy, Scott Chambers and Eric Mohammed will represent England B.
They will compete against teams from France, Gibralta, Shetlands, South Africa, plus all the home nations, in Bridlington, Yorkshire.
The tournament starts tomorrow and the final will be on April 11.
McCarthy said: "We are all in top form at the moment and are confident that we can become world champions.
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 4 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 5 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 6 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 7 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 8 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 9 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
"I believe, England, Scotland and Wales will be the favourites."
The competition sees three England teams of 11 players battling it out in singles matches with all the scores recorded as a team.
The Wisbech foursome helped England to win the European title in Selsey, Sussex in October.
Lucas has been an England international for 12 years, McCarthy has been an international for 10 years and Mohammed and Chambers have been internationals for five years.
All four play in the Cherry Automatics Wisbech and District Pool League.
McCarthy said: "To have four guys from Wisbech playing for England is fantastic. The standard of pool in this area has always been very high.