Former Norwich City Academy star Nick Davey signs for Wisbech Town
FORMER Norwich City Academy star Nick Davey has signed for Wisbech Town.
The 20-year-old striker, from Walpole St Andrew, took part in Wisbech’s first pre-season training session on Tuesday and manager Steve Appleby has wasted no time in securing his signature.
Davey is now awaiting international clearance and looks set to become Appleby’s fourth high-profile signing of a busy summer.
The striker had returned to England after playing for Sunshine George Cross in the second tier of Australian football, the Victoria Premier League, for around a year.
Appleby said: “This is an exciting signing for the club.
“The lad’s come back to England and he’s looking to prove himself. Much like Neal Spafford, Simon Ashton and Liam Nimmo he’s played at a higher level.
“These boys are all hungry, keen to do well and they want success - which is what we want at this club.”
- 1 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 3 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 4 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 5 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 6 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 7 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 8 Donkeys' grassland could be replaced with seven homes
- 9 Teens arrested after woman threatened with hammer in Wisbech
- 10 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
Davey joined the Canaries’ Academy in 2004 after scoring a hatful of goals for Walpole Youth from the age of seven. He was offered a scholarship in 2007 but left the club in 2009 after he wasn’t offered a professional contract.
Davey has since had brief spells at King’s Lynn and Bury Town and will link up with Matt Lunn next season after the flying winger pledged his immediate future to Wisbech.