Former King’s Lynn striker Bacon makes Wisbech Town appearance as Fenmen smash Swineshead 9-0
FORMER King’s Lynn Town striker Chris Bacon pulled on a Wisbech Town shirt last night as the Fenmen romped to a 9-0 friendly win over Swineshead Institute.
Bacon played the first half for Steve Appleby’s side - fuelling speculation that the former Linnet could be set for a move to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium as a replacement for Ash Stevens who looks set to leave.
Although Bacon - released by Lynn last month - failed to get on the scoresheet, the Fenmen crushed the Lincolnshire Premier Division side with a hat-trick from talented left winger Ollie Gale.
Sam Murphy’s strike had seen Wisbech lead just 1-0 at the break after a competitive first half, which saw Chris Horton save his second penalty of pre-season. The Fenmen had also missed a spot-kick as Neal Spafford saw his effort palmed onto the post.
But Wisbech stepped up a gear in the second half, as a combination of raw pace and clinical finishing proved too much for Swineshead.
You may also want to watch:
Sam Cubberley, Billy Smith and Nick Davey all found the net, with Matt Lunn firing a brace.
Gale completed his hat-trick in the closing stages, to stake an impressive claim for a place in Steve Appleby’s first team.
- 1 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 2 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 3 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 4 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 5 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 6 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault
Striker Bacon is expected to make another appearance for the Fenmen in Tuesday’s friendly against Boston United. Wisbech host Pinchbeck United tomorrow.