Former King’s Lynn striker Bacon makes Wisbech Town appearance as Fenmen smash Swineshead 9-0
FORMER King’s Lynn Town striker Chris Bacon pulled on a Wisbech Town shirt last night as the Fenmen romped to a 9-0 friendly win over Swineshead Institute.
Bacon played the first half for Steve Appleby’s side - fuelling speculation that the former Linnet could be set for a move to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium as a replacement for Ash Stevens who looks set to leave.
Although Bacon - released by Lynn last month - failed to get on the scoresheet, the Fenmen crushed the Lincolnshire Premier Division side with a hat-trick from talented left winger Ollie Gale.
Sam Murphy’s strike had seen Wisbech lead just 1-0 at the break after a competitive first half, which saw Chris Horton save his second penalty of pre-season. The Fenmen had also missed a spot-kick as Neal Spafford saw his effort palmed onto the post.
But Wisbech stepped up a gear in the second half, as a combination of raw pace and clinical finishing proved too much for Swineshead.
Sam Cubberley, Billy Smith and Nick Davey all found the net, with Matt Lunn firing a brace.
Gale completed his hat-trick in the closing stages, to stake an impressive claim for a place in Steve Appleby’s first team.
- 1 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 5 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 6 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 7 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 8 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 9 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
Striker Bacon is expected to make another appearance for the Fenmen in Tuesday’s friendly against Boston United. Wisbech host Pinchbeck United tomorrow.