Former King’s Lynn striker Bacon makes Wisbech Town appearance as Fenmen smash Swineshead 9-0
FORMER King’s Lynn Town striker Chris Bacon pulled on a Wisbech Town shirt last night as the Fenmen romped to a 9-0 friendly win over Swineshead Institute.
Bacon played the first half for Steve Appleby’s side - fuelling speculation that the former Linnet could be set for a move to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium as a replacement for Ash Stevens who looks set to leave.
Although Bacon - released by Lynn last month - failed to get on the scoresheet, the Fenmen crushed the Lincolnshire Premier Division side with a hat-trick from talented left winger Ollie Gale.
Sam Murphy’s strike had seen Wisbech lead just 1-0 at the break after a competitive first half, which saw Chris Horton save his second penalty of pre-season. The Fenmen had also missed a spot-kick as Neal Spafford saw his effort palmed onto the post.
But Wisbech stepped up a gear in the second half, as a combination of raw pace and clinical finishing proved too much for Swineshead.
You may also want to watch:
Sam Cubberley, Billy Smith and Nick Davey all found the net, with Matt Lunn firing a brace.
Gale completed his hat-trick in the closing stages, to stake an impressive claim for a place in Steve Appleby’s first team.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 3 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 7 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 8 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 9 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
Striker Bacon is expected to make another appearance for the Fenmen in Tuesday’s friendly against Boston United. Wisbech host Pinchbeck United tomorrow.