Former captain defies surgeons’ predictions to make emotional return for Wisbech Rugby Club

FORMER Wisbech Rugby Club captain Luke Feaviour has made an emotional return to the game more than three years after surgeons told him he would never play again.

Firefighters had to cut Feaviour out of his car in February 2008 after a crash on Lynn Road, in Wisbech. He suffered a broken leg, which looked to have ended his playing career at Harecroft Road.

But on Saturday, the 31-year-old pulled on a Wisbech shirt for the first time since the crash to help the second team to a 22-15 win over Norwich Union.

Feaviour said: “It was hugely emotional. But as soon as we kicked-off I was just back to old habits. The adrenaline was pumping.

“A lot of my best memories have been when wearing a Wisbech shirt. I was very proud to play and captain some of the best teams the club has ever had.

“What happened on the night of the crash is ingrained on my memory. I might not even have been here now but instead after ten months on crutches, four operations and three years of waiting it’s finally fixed.

“Rugby was my life. To have that suddenly taken away was a nightmare. I didn’t lose a leg but it felt like it.”

Most Read

The second row came through the full 90 minutes as tries from Tom Goose (2), Jake Smith and Ryan Tate helped Wisbech’s second string overturn a 15-0 half-time score to win.

Jim Mitchell, second team captain, said: “It was excellent to see him back and he put in a storming performance. It was the Luke of old.”

Feaviour, a PE teacher at Springwood High School in King’s Lynn, has played for Wisbech since he was 18. During his spell on the sidelines he began coaching the first team.

He said: “When I first broke my leg the surgeons said that rugby was a tough sport and that I would struggle to play again so it’s fantastic to be back.

“Whatever comes next will be my decision - it was taken from me but now it’s back in my control.”

• Wisbech’s first team are off the bottom of London North-East Division Three after they claimed the points when Wanstead failed to fulfil their weekend fixture.