Wisbech Town through in FA Vase after thumping Cogenhoe

PUBLISHED: 20:11 02 October 2010 | UPDATED: 09:22 04 October 2010

Action from Wisbech Town's 5-1 win over Cogenhoe United

Action from Wisbech Town's 5-1 win over Cogenhoe United


Wisbech Town 5 Cogenhoe United 1

Action from Wisbech Town's 5-1 win over Cogenhoe United

WISBECH Town sent a message to their cup rivals as they smashed Cogenhoe United 5-1 to cruise into the second round of the FA Vase in emphatic fashion.

Goals from Andy Furnell, Luke Kennedy, Tommy Treacher and a brace from Matt Lunn fired the Fenmen one step closer to Wembley, in front of a good crowd at the Tom Woods Beer Stadium.

And the winning margin could have been even greater for Wisbech, if it wasn’t for two missed penalties in a frantic first half.

After the game, Fenmen Boss Steve Appleby admitted that his team had the quality to go all the way in the competition.

Action from Wisbech Town's 5-1 win over Cogenhoe United

He said: “If we can play anywhere like what we’re capable of then we are as good as anybody. We just need to make sure we do because in the cup you don’t get a second chance.

“The lads are starting to believe, I’ve started getting it into their heads now. We’ve had a taste of victory in the rounds before this and I think it’s starting to hit home that all you need is a performance on the day and then you never know what could happen.”

The Fenmen got off to a dream start when they took the lead inside the first minute, Furnell rising at the back post to nod home Lunn’s cross.

Wisbech then missed a golden opportunity to extend their lead, when Furnell’s penalty was kept out by a fine save from the Cogenhoe keeper.

Action from Wisbech Town's 5-1 win over Cogenhoe United

The Fenmen finally got their second on the half hour mark, Lunn turning from provider to scorer and smashing home from close range after Cogenhoe failed to clear the ball.

But any thoughts of a walkover were put on hold as the away side replied instantly, Alfie Taylor scoring from the narrowest of angles.

Lunn, who was a constant threat to Cogenhoe, continued to give the full back a torrid time, winning a second penalty for his team after a surging run into the box.

Furnell stepped up but the keeper guessed right once more to keep Cogenhoe in the tie, 2-1 down at the break.

Cogenhoe started the second half brightly but it was Wisbech who struck on the hour, after their third penalty of the day was slotted home by Luke Kennedy.

Treacher added a fourth from 30 yards after a defensive mix-up and Lunn completed the rout with his second.

Although pleased with the win, Appleby warned his side that they must continue to improve.

He said: “It’s a good win but not necessarily a good performance. There are still things that we need to work at.

“When we are up for it we are as good as anybody. The warning signs are that when we take our foot off the gas we leave ourselves open and I don’t think we are good enough to do that.

“They had a few decent chances themselves but in hindsight if we had put the first penalty away I think it would have been game over.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Wisbech Standard