NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Wisbech Town must improve, says boss Dick Creasey
PUBLISHED: 09:49 04 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:49 04 May 2017
Wisbech Town boss Dick Creasey has vowed his side will come back better next season after finishing their 2016/17 campaign on a disappointing note.
The Fenmen followed up a resounding 5-0 UCL Premier Division final day victory over Harrowby United on Saturday by losing out on the chance to lift silverware by falling to a narrow 2-1 defeat to Yaxley in the League Cup final on Monday.
Liam Adams struck to level for Wisbech in the second half but a late Yaxley winner took the gloss off what has been a positive end-of-season run for Wisbech, which saw the Fenmen lose just five games in all competitions since the turn of the year.
And despite that run, which took Wisbech to a sixth place league finish, Creasey says his players are capable of much more.
“The final was a poor advert for the UCL, if I’m honest,” he admitted.
“You want to show the UCL off but it was the total reverse. I thought we were poor and Yaxley weren’t much better. Everybody on show had a poor afternoon.
“We’ll dust ourselves down and learn from it. I’ve certainly learned from it.
“We know where we have to improve ourselves and the hard work has started now. We have to be better next season.
“Sixth in the league isn’t good enough and it’s not where Wisbech want to be.
“We know we need to bring a few new faces in. Believe me, the next couple of weeks are going to be very intense.
“I’m putting my head on the block here, which I don’t normally do, but I know we will be better next season.
“I have to thank everyone who has given us a lot of support this season – the chairman, the board of directors and the supporters who have been fantastic again.
“We have to make the club proud of what it has got and that falls right at my feet. I’m under no illusions as to the task I’ve got ahead but I’m prepared to do that and hopefully we will be sitting here in 12 months time in a little bit of a better state of mind.”
Creasey also admitted that he has already tied a handful of first-team players down for the 2017/18 campaign as he looks ahead to pre-season.
“I have agreed with six or seven in the present squad already,” he said.
“We can’t sign forms yet but we have been busy over the last week.
“It’s important that we keep what we need to keep. I’m at a delicate stage with a couple that I desperately want to keep and there are three or four more that we’ll have to talk to.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.