First half feast of goals fires Wisbech Town to success over Kirby Muxloe
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town coach Elio Salerno described his side’s performance as ‘intelligent’ after an excellent first-half performance from the Fenmen fired them to a 3-0 win over Kirby Muxloe.
The Fenmen travelled to Leicestershire looking for an immediate response to their 2-1 defeat by AFC Kempston Rovers last week, and they found it in resounding fashion after a storming first-half performance.
Goals from Scott Johnson, Billy Smith and Michael Frew saw Wisbech go into the half-time break 3-0 up, and a solid defensive display ensured that the visitors would return to Fenland with all three points.
Wisbech coach Elio Salerno was quick to praise his side’s display, saying: “I think it was a very intelligent team performance from us. We pressed at the right moments in the first half and scored goals at the right time which gave us confidence for the second half.”
Salerno also believes that Wisbech’s 3-0 success in the two teams’ first ever meeting can propel the Fenmen up the Chromasport & Trophies United Counties Premier Division, where they currently sit in tenth.
He said: “It was important for us to get the three points. We need to improve our league position and we’ll look to build on this and take it into next week.”
Striker Michael Frew was on target for the sixth time this season, and after coming under some criticism earlier in the season for failing to find the net, Frew was pleased to notch again.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 4 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 9 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 10 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
He said: “I’ve headed the ball, it’s come off my shoulder, hit their player and deflected in the other corner but I’ll take them when they come.
“We started well, we pressed them, and got three goals and it was game over after that so it was a good performance.”
The Fenmen take on Yaxley next weekend in a rearranged fixture at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium (3pm), and Elio Salerno sees the game as a perfect time to put the record straight against the side who put five past the Fenmen back in August.
He said: “Because of league positions, it’s an important game for us to try and take advantage and get above them. I think it’s a game that we’ll be looking to show that we’re a better team than we were on that day.”