Fired-up Wisbech Rugby Club kick-start relegation scrap by beating Bancroft
A FIRED-UP Wisbech Rugby Club responded to being plunged into a relegation battle by striking late to beat Bancroft 18-16 on Saturday.
Full back Mark Laws came off the bench to kick a last-gasp winning conversion for Wisbech, who are rooted to the bottom of their London Three North East League after being deducted 13 points for fielding an ineligible player.
Stand-in skipper Shane Vickers said: “We were pretty fired up for this game because now we really have something to play for.
“As soon as the lads found out what had happened with the deduction, nobody was negative. They all turned around and said: ‘We’ve really got something to play for now.’ We are all hungry for it.
“It would be a hell of an achievement to stay up but we can do it.”
You may also want to watch:
An Andrew Claydon penalty gave Wisbech an early lead but Bancroft quickly found their feet, slotting over two penalties and scoring the first try of the game to take an 11-3 lead.
But another Claydon penalty and a fantastic team try finished by Will Pettit saw Wisbech go in level at the break.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 4 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 7 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
Bancroft took a 16-11 lead with their second try but as the final whistle approached it was the visitors who had the final say.
Man of the match Chris Newns crashed over to set up a match-winning conversion for substitute Laws, who held his nerve to help Wisbech to a valuable four points.
Wisbech, who have now reduced the gap at the bottom of the league to five points, play mid-table South Woodham Ferrers tomorrow. Kick-off is at 2:15pm.