NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Sizzling second-half turnaround earns fine success for Wisbech Town

Wisbech Town midfielder Sam Murphy scored in their victory against Marske. Picture: IAN CARTER

Wisbech Town midfielder Sam Murphy scored in their victory against Marske. Picture: IAN CARTER - Credit: Archant

Wisbech Town produced a stunning second-half comeback to claim their first Northern Premier League East Division home success last Saturday.

Gary Setchell’s men struck three times in the space of nine minutes to end the unbeaten start of fellow promoted side Marske United with a 3-1 victory in front of almost 250 fans at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium.

Wisbech fell behind to a controversial penalty just before half-time after goalkeeper Dan Swan was penalised for what appeared to be a ball-winning challenge, but they soon gained the upper hand.

Recent signing Sam Gaughran levelled with his first Fenmen goal 10 minutes into the second period – and that marked the start of a rapid transformation.

Six minutes later Wisbech hit the front as summer capture Ryan Harnwell opened his account and midfield ace Sam Murphy soon sealed the points when finding the net with a looping header from a Danny Setchell free-kick.

“It was our best result of the season,” said assistant boss Daz Edey. “And it was gained thanks to our best performance so far.

“We felt very aggrieved to be behind at half-time, but we knew we had caused Marske problems and that there were goals for us if we kept up our level of performance.

Most Read

“We felt we could hurt them from set-pieces and also by pressing the ball when they tried to play out. Lo and behold we got two set-piece goals and the other came when Ryan robbed a defender.

“Marske were top of the table at kick-off, they turned up in their own bus, had a squad of 18 players and also had injured lads working on the pitch with their physio.

“That highlights the resources some clubs have available to them at this level of football, but we can only worry about ourselves and we’re finding our feet nicely.

“We’ve only really be outplayed in one half of one game – away at Morpeth - otherwise we have competed very well and the work ethic of the lads is absolutely fantastic.”

Wisbech fell at the first hurdle in the Integro Cup on Tuesday night.

A much-changed Fenmen side suffered a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of AFC Mansfield with Harnwell again on the scoresheet.

Wisbech face two more home Division One East games in the coming days.

They host Brighouse Town on Saturday, 3pm, and then entertain Cleethorpes Town on Tuesday, 7.45pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter