Fenmen suffer penalty shootout defeat after dominating Newmarket
Ridgeons League Cup, First Round Newmarket Town 1 Wisbech Town 1 (Newmarket won 3-2 on penalties) DESPITE creating enough chances to win by a rugby score, Wisbech were knocked out on penalties. The Jockeys registered just three shots on target throughout
Ridgeons League Cup, First Round
Newmarket Town 1 Wisbech Town 1
(Newmarket won 3-2 on penalties)
DESPITE creating enough chances to win by a rugby score, Wisbech were knocked out on penalties.
The Jockeys registered just three shots on target throughout the entire 120 minutes while Wisbech's opportunities went well into double figures.
Visiting stopper Alex Street made a good save before The Fenmen took the lead after 30 minutes when Darren Jimson knocked in a rebound from eight yards after Billy Smith's 25-yard free-kick came back off the upright.
- 1 Wisbech Swimming Club member gains place at British Swimming Championships final
- 2 Driver escapes injury after lorry ploughs into back of broken-down van
- 3 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had undiagnosed Alzheimer’s’
- 4 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 5 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 8 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 9 Households urged to ‘be vigilant’ after many targeted by rogue traders
Newmarket equalised five minutes later with a powerful strike after Wisbech failed to deal with a corner.
The introduction of Scott Cubberley from the substitutes' bench in the 63rd minute sparked large periods of Wisbech dominance.
The Cubberley brothers, Jimson, Smith and Charlie Defty all had chances to put Wisbech into the next round.
In the final few minutes of extra time Sam Cubberley missed a header before the hosts held their nerve in the shootout.
In a game of few chances Wisbech drew 0-0 at Norwich United in the Ridgeons Premier Division on Saturday.
Referee James Turner controversially disallowed Jordan Blyth's 62nd-minute strike for Norwich, adjudging that Tom Youngs had handled the ball after Wisbech keeper Street had dropped the ball.
Scott Cubberly, Smith and Stuart Cobb had chances to win it for Wisbech, who host Debenham tomorrow and travel to Dereham on Tuesday.