NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Derby date for Wisbech Town following FA Trophy reprieve
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town are determined to make the most of their second chance in the FA Trophy tonight.
The Fenmen have been reinstated in the national competition after opponents Kidsgrove Athletic fielded an ineligible player when knocking them out at the preliminary round stage last month. Kidsgrove won 2-1 but have subsequently been booted out.
Wisbech now entertain Yaxley - the team who beat them to the United Counties League Premier Division title on goal difference last season - in the first qualifying round this evening at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium, 7.45pm.
Assistant manager Daz Edey said: “We’re grateful to have another chance to play in the FA Trophy and hopefully we can grab it with both hands.
“Its a local derby against a side we know well and it would also be great if we could get a bit of revenge against Yaxley after they pipped us to the league title last season.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m sure it will be an exciting game and we’ll be doing everything we can to progress.”
The winners will then host Ramsbottom in the next round this Saturday.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 8 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 9 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 10 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
Success in the FA Trophy would provide a confidence boost for a Wisbech side who dropped into the Northern Premier League Division One East relegation zone last season.
The Fenmen were agonisingly beaten 1-0 at Sheffield side Stocksbridge Park Steels with the hosts’ goal arriving in stoppage time.