Fenland star Murat bags double success at Norfolk Open Taekwon-do Championships
FENLAND’S martial arts stars showed their class against competitors from across the country at the Norfolk Open Taekwon-do Championships on Sunday.
Dawn Murat was the hero for the Wisbech-based Carter School of Taekwon-do - powering her way to a gold and silver medal. In the power breaking, Murat was able to break a double thickness of red boards to take a memorable gold.
She said: “Going into the competition, I was thinking I’m getting too old for this, but I had to do it for the Wisbech school.
“Both my son, and his friend Dominic - who are much better than me - were unable to compete due to GCSEs and injury, so I felt I’d better not let the side down.
“As it turned out it was great. I had a great deal of fun and was lucky enough to bring home some medals.”
Also putting in strong performances were sisters Jade and Jasmine Griffiths who were just one step away from the medals in the junior black belt sparring, patterns and power competitions.
Talented Edvinas Volkolas was in the play-offs for gold in the power breaking but narrowly missed out on a medal.
- 1 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 2 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 5 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 6 Murder probe sends 'shockwaves' through community
- 7 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 8 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 9 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 10 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
New members are welcome at The Carter School of Taekwon-do, who train at the Hudson Leisure Centre on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 6-7pm.