Fenland star Murat bags double success at Norfolk Open Taekwon-do Championships
FENLAND’S martial arts stars showed their class against competitors from across the country at the Norfolk Open Taekwon-do Championships on Sunday.
Dawn Murat was the hero for the Wisbech-based Carter School of Taekwon-do - powering her way to a gold and silver medal. In the power breaking, Murat was able to break a double thickness of red boards to take a memorable gold.
She said: “Going into the competition, I was thinking I’m getting too old for this, but I had to do it for the Wisbech school.
“Both my son, and his friend Dominic - who are much better than me - were unable to compete due to GCSEs and injury, so I felt I’d better not let the side down.
“As it turned out it was great. I had a great deal of fun and was lucky enough to bring home some medals.”
You may also want to watch:
Also putting in strong performances were sisters Jade and Jasmine Griffiths who were just one step away from the medals in the junior black belt sparring, patterns and power competitions.
Talented Edvinas Volkolas was in the play-offs for gold in the power breaking but narrowly missed out on a medal.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 9 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
New members are welcome at The Carter School of Taekwon-do, who train at the Hudson Leisure Centre on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 6-7pm.