Fenland Running Club members defy summer heat to race to top ten finish in Cotswold 24 Hour Relay
- Credit: Archant
Fenland Running Club sent its first team to take part in the Cotswold 24 Hour Relay in Cirencester Park – and came back with a top ten finish.
Entering as a mixed team of four men and four women, they ranked eight out of 69 similar teams, completing 31 laps of the park within the 24 hour limit.
Starting at midday on Saturday, and running through the night to finish at midday on Sunday, they clocked up a massive 280km – meaning they placed 14th overall from 255 entries.
Sean Connolly, as captain, led from the front by posting quick times in the summer heat, while Martin Jennings completed three back—to—back laps also under 40 minutes. Tim Chapman led the team out for lap one and was able to squeeze in a final fifth lap – lap 31 – at the very end as the team had run ahead of its time schedule.
With Pasquale Ruggiero completing the men’s entries, three women completed four laps apiece – Ellen Connolly, Nicky Jennings and Jay Gilbert – with Sharon Bird heroically completing two laps after coming back from injury.
You may also want to watch:
Final Results: Team Fenland: 14th overall (24:11—53) out of 255 entries – 280km.
Tim Chapman: five laps (3:24—46); Sean Connolly: 4 laps (2:41—53); Martin Jennings: 4 laps (2:29—34); Paskey Ruggiero: 4 laps (3:41—18); Ellen Connolly: 4 laps(3:13—39); Nicky Jennings: 4 laps (3:12—08); Jay Gilbert: 4 laps (3:12—51); Sharon Bird: 2 laps (2:16—30).
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia