FENLAND: Eli Frankham becomes national ABA champion and secures England spot
FENLAND boxer Eli Frankham has become a national champion and secured an international place. Frankham, 16, from Walpole St Andrew, comfortably won his Junior ABA final against Midlands champion Kane Butler 9-1 in Liverpool on Saturday. His performance
FENLAND boxer Eli Frankham has become a national champion and secured an international place.
Frankham, 16, from Walpole St Andrew, comfortably won his Junior ABA final against Midlands' champion Kane Butler 9-1 in Liverpool on Saturday.
His performance impressed England scouts on the night and he will fight for England in the Three Nations Championships on June 11.
Buddy Lee, Eli's coach at Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club, said: "Eli produced a phenomenal performance. He outclassed the Midlands' champion.
You may also want to watch:
"The England ABAE head coach Mick Gannon told me he thought Eli was different class. That's amazing to hear from someone like that.
"Eli's worked so hard for this. He's an amazing lad with a great attitude and has put in so much effort in.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
Eli's mother Vanessa Frankham said: "Eli has wanted this title since he started boxing.
"I heard that the England coach Mick Gannon has made up his mind to pick Eli straight after the first round.