Eli Frankham wins gold at European boxing tournament
TEENAGE boxer Eli Frankham has another gold medal to add to his cabinet – this time, for success on the European stage. Frankham, from Walpole St Andrew, impressed judges on his way to winning the 80kg junior class at the Hvidovre Box Cup Competition, hel
TEENAGE boxer Eli Frankham has another gold medal to add to his cabinet - this time, for success on the European stage.
Frankham, from Walpole St Andrew, impressed judges on his way to winning the 80kg junior class at the Hvidovre Box Cup Competition, held in Copenhagen, Denmark, last weekend.
The 16 year old only faced one bout all weekend. There were set to be three other boxers in his weight from across Europe, but two pulled out.
He faced young Danish fighter Mikki Nielsen in the final and even survived a fault with a laptop to take the victory.
You may also want to watch:
Frankham said: "Usually, points for how many punches you land are counted on a computer, but the laptop messed up so we had judges score the fight."
Two of the three judges marked Frankham the winner of all three rounds, with the third judge marking Frankham the winner of two rounds.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 9 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 10 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
Frankham said: "Technically, Mikki was one of the best boxers I've fought so I'm really pleased with the win."
There's no rest, however, for Frankham because on Monday he fights in the final of the Clubs for Young People competition, in Nottinghamshire.