Eli Frankham wins gold at European boxing tournament
TEENAGE boxer Eli Frankham has another gold medal to add to his cabinet – this time, for success on the European stage. Frankham, from Walpole St Andrew, impressed judges on his way to winning the 80kg junior class at the Hvidovre Box Cup Competition, hel
TEENAGE boxer Eli Frankham has another gold medal to add to his cabinet - this time, for success on the European stage.
Frankham, from Walpole St Andrew, impressed judges on his way to winning the 80kg junior class at the Hvidovre Box Cup Competition, held in Copenhagen, Denmark, last weekend.
The 16 year old only faced one bout all weekend. There were set to be three other boxers in his weight from across Europe, but two pulled out.
He faced young Danish fighter Mikki Nielsen in the final and even survived a fault with a laptop to take the victory.
Frankham said: "Usually, points for how many punches you land are counted on a computer, but the laptop messed up so we had judges score the fight."
Two of the three judges marked Frankham the winner of all three rounds, with the third judge marking Frankham the winner of two rounds.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 4 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 7 OPINION: Jettison inertia and save money
- 8 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 9 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 10 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
Frankham said: "Technically, Mikki was one of the best boxers I've fought so I'm really pleased with the win."
There's no rest, however, for Frankham because on Monday he fights in the final of the Clubs for Young People competition, in Nottinghamshire.