Cubberley’s solo effort helps Wisbech Town Reserves get off to winning start
A SOLO effort from Sam Cubberley helped Wisbech Town Reserves win their first league game of the season 2-0 at Needingworth United on Wednesday night.
Cubberley’s 85th-minute goal wrapped up the win for Darren Edey’s side who went in front courtesy of an own goal in the 10th minute.
The Fenmen’s second-string welcomed Nick Davey and Lewis Thompson - who have both been on the bench for the first team’s opening two games - into their side for the Kershaw Senior A League opener at Needingworth.
Reserve team boss Edey said: “We’ve started off with three points but I was disappointed with the display.
“Still as our three friendlies were all called off at the last minute I suppose I shouldn’t grumble. An own goal and Sam Cubberley’s solo effort brought the points home.
You may also want to watch:
“We lost Leggy (Kevin Leggett) with a pulled calf after 15 minutes and that disrupted our play.”
Edey’s side travel to Wimblington next Wednesday (6.45pm kick-off).
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 10 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
Wisbech: O’Sullivan, Jones, Darlow, Davey, Harnwell, Leggett (Jimson, 20), Thompson (L.Gale, 80), Martin, Murphy, Speechley, Cubberley
Sub not used: Edey