CRICKET: Wisbech secure the points with eight balls to spare
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech left it late to seal their fourth win in six league games last weekend.
Gary Freear’s men managed to snatch the points with eight balls to spare in their high-scoring Whiting & Partners Division One meeting with Godmanchester on Saturday.
Opener Tariq Aziz’s impressive unbeaten 114 and Matt Durrant’s 60 helped the Hunts outfit to a healthy total of 233 after their 50 overs.
In reply, Freaar and Danny Haynes put on an opening wicket stand of 93 before the local lads collapsed to 138-6 thanks to Nadeem Nazar’s four-wicket haul.
But Gollands and Paul Edgeller (34) added 46 Simon Freear added another 15 as Wisbech steadied the ship.
Edgeller was eventually trapped LBW with two runs required but Freear hit the winning runs in the penultimate over.
Wisbech, who currently share second place with Foxton and Saffron Walden, take on Waresley tomorrow (12.30pm).
- 1 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 2 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 3 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 4 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
- 5 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Fenmen 'not far' from turning fortunes round despite second straight loss
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack