Cricket round-up: Wisbech suffer nightmare batting collapse while Leverington march on
WISBECH missed a golden chance to beat Tucker Gardner Premier Division title challengers Godmanchester on Saturday after their batsmen were blown away for just 70.
Spinner Craig Johnson (5-42) took his third consecutive five-wicket haul to help bowl Godmanchester out for 142 and put Wisbech in charge.
But, not for the first time this season, Wisbech’s batting collapsed with only Zak Brown (23) and David Wood (21) reaching double figures in a miserable chase.
• A FINE all-round performance from Matthew Parrin helped Wisbech II to a 39-run win over Longstanton Grasshoppers on Saturday.
Parrin top-scored with 26 as Wisbech were bowled out for 161 and then took 3-18 as Longstanton limped to 122. Lyndon Waters (3-35), Ivan Burgess (2-19) and Fergus Brown (2-23) were also in the wickets.
You may also want to watch:
• WISBECH III were shot out for 66 in a crushing nine-wicket defeat to Pymoor.
Only Paul Strickle (14), Adrian Clare (11) and Adrian Peck (14 not out) reached double figures for Wisbech before Peck took the only Pymoor wicket to fall.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 4 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
• A FLUENT 77 from Martin Knowles was not enough to stop Wisbech IV falling to an eight-wicket defeat to Littleport II.
Knowles’ knock helped Wisbech reach 148-8 but Littleport eased to victory, with David LeMoir (2-24) taking the only wickets to fall.
• WISBECH first team suffered their second loss of the weekend on Sunday as they fell to a four-wicket defeat against Market Overton.
Simon Freear (43) and Matt Esser (41) helped Wisbech post 220-9 but Overton reached their target with nine balls to spare. Ivan Burgess took 2-36 for Wisbech.
• TOM Chapman (4-23) helped skittle Warboys for 117 on Sunday to set up an eight-wicket win for Wisbech II.
Hassan Ahmed and Brodie Ellis also took two wickets as Warboys struggled against the Wisbech attack. A fine half-century from Sam Albutt (53) saw Wisbech claim victory after just 21 overs.
• TABLE-TOPPING Leverington continued their rampant form in Cambs Junior 2A by crushing Fenland rivals March III by eight wickets.
Leverington’s bowlers decimated the March batting line-up with Orlando Prestidge (4-8) leading the way in his first game of the season.
John Gill (3-8), Lee Peck (2-25) and Aaron Cobb (1-6) also helped as March were skittled for a lowly 55. Adam Fairbrother (30) and James Dod (14 not out) eased Leverington to victory inside 16 overs.