Cricket round-up: Wisbech’s first team lead the way while Leverington claim bragging rights
WISBECH’S triumphant weekend was sealed on Sunday as the first team cruised to a seven-wicket victory over Orton Park in Rutland Division Two.
Drew Jones and Simon Freear took three wickets apiece as Park managed 173-9 from their 45 overs.
Wisbech eased to their target with more than 10 overs to spare as Ivan Burgess (62) and David Wood (74 not out) made short work of the bowling.
• WISBECH II suffered a disappointing nine-wicket defeat to Wilbrahams after being bowled out for just 122 on Saturday.
Dom Stannard (36) top-scored in Wisbech’s modest target, which was reached easily by Wilbrahams with Kieran Haynes taking the only wicket to fall.
• TABLE-TOPPING Leverington thumped Fenland rivals Wisbech III by eight wickets on Saturday.
Wicket-keeper Gary Alexander (26) top-scored for Wisbech as three wickets each from Ian Cooper and Ricky Brown saw them capitulate to 118 all out.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 3 Detectives given longer to question Downham Market murder suspects
- 4 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 6 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 7 Murder probe sends 'shockwaves' through community
- 8 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 9 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 10 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
Opener Simon Gilbert led Leverington’s reply with 33 not out, while James Dod (33), Glyn Wilson (25) and Jacques Steynberg (17 not out) all chipped in to see them home.
Wisbech III turned things round on Sunday with a 68-run win over Witcham. Sam Darlow hit 78 as Wisbech posted 250-3 before David Lemoir (3-37) helped bowl Witcham out for 182.
• SAM Darlow took a magnificent hat-trick to inspire Wisbech IV to a five-wicket win over St Ives III on Saturday.
Darlow finished with figures of 4-9 and David Lemoir chipped in with three wickets to skittle St Ives out for 99. Dan Martell hit a composed 39 not out as Wisbech strolled to victory.
FOR MORE ON WISBECH FIRST TEAM’S MEMORABLE WEEKEND SEE FRIDAY’S WISBECH STANDARD.