Cricket round-up: Wisbech’s first team lead the way while Leverington claim bragging rights
WISBECH’S triumphant weekend was sealed on Sunday as the first team cruised to a seven-wicket victory over Orton Park in Rutland Division Two.
Drew Jones and Simon Freear took three wickets apiece as Park managed 173-9 from their 45 overs.
Wisbech eased to their target with more than 10 overs to spare as Ivan Burgess (62) and David Wood (74 not out) made short work of the bowling.
• WISBECH II suffered a disappointing nine-wicket defeat to Wilbrahams after being bowled out for just 122 on Saturday.
Dom Stannard (36) top-scored in Wisbech’s modest target, which was reached easily by Wilbrahams with Kieran Haynes taking the only wicket to fall.
• TABLE-TOPPING Leverington thumped Fenland rivals Wisbech III by eight wickets on Saturday.
Wicket-keeper Gary Alexander (26) top-scored for Wisbech as three wickets each from Ian Cooper and Ricky Brown saw them capitulate to 118 all out.
- 1 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 2 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 3 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 4 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 5 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 6 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 7 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 8 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 9 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 10 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
Opener Simon Gilbert led Leverington’s reply with 33 not out, while James Dod (33), Glyn Wilson (25) and Jacques Steynberg (17 not out) all chipped in to see them home.
Wisbech III turned things round on Sunday with a 68-run win over Witcham. Sam Darlow hit 78 as Wisbech posted 250-3 before David Lemoir (3-37) helped bowl Witcham out for 182.
• SAM Darlow took a magnificent hat-trick to inspire Wisbech IV to a five-wicket win over St Ives III on Saturday.
Darlow finished with figures of 4-9 and David Lemoir chipped in with three wickets to skittle St Ives out for 99. Dan Martell hit a composed 39 not out as Wisbech strolled to victory.
FOR MORE ON WISBECH FIRST TEAM’S MEMORABLE WEEKEND SEE FRIDAY’S WISBECH STANDARD.