Cricket round-up: Wisbech held to frustrating draw while Leverington suffer shock defeat
WISBECH’S frustrating Tucker Gardner Premier Division campaign continued on Saturday as Sawston became the latest side to hold out for a draw at Harecroft Road.
Wisbech have only picked up six wins in 21 games this season - and the disappointed side were just two wickets away from victory at the weekend.
Jack Hastings’ fine 87 not out helped Wisbech post 224-9 and although spinners Gary Freear (4-41) and Craig Johnson (3-58) did some damage, the home side couldn’t finish the job.
Wisbech will aim to spoil Ramsey’s party tomorrow - when they conclude their campaign by hosting the league leaders.
• WISBECH suffered an eight-wicket thumping at the hands of Nassington on Sunday in Rutland League Division 2.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Freear (39), Simon Freear (25) and David Wood (15) were the only Wisbech players to reach double figures in a paltry total of 117.
Kieran Haynes and Gary Freear took the only wickets to fall as Nassington coasted home.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 2 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 3 Police share images of Wisbech cannabis factory
- 4 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 5 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 6 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 7 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 8 'Sports cages' designed by Cambs company are helping children stay active
- 9 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 10 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
• ADRIAN Clare’s fine knock of 92 couldn’t prevent Wisbech II falling to defeat against Laxton Park on Sunday.
Martin Parrin took four wickets as Laxton posted 214-8 but Clare’s sparkling innings was not enough to see Wisbech to victory.
• WISBECH III fell to a five-wicket defeat against Fenland rivals Chatteris on Sunday.
Opening batsman Tim Chapman (41 not out) anchored Wisbech’s innings with Tom Chapman (37) and Tom Jupp (21) chipping in to help them to 146-9 off their 40 overs.
Tom Chapman and David LeMoir both took two wickets but Chatteris reached their target with nine overs to spare.
• CHAMPIONS Leverington suffered a shock loss to relegated Longstanton Grasshoppers II on Saturday in their final Cambs Junior 2A game.
The seven-wicket thrashing was only their second defeat of the league season.
Simon Gilbert (35) and Adam Fairbrother (41 not out) helped Leverington reach 164-5. Two wickets from Ian Cooper were not enough to stop Longstanton easing to victory.