Cricket round-up: Wisbech fall short of shock victory while Leverington secure promotion
WISBECH were eight runs away from a shock victory over Foxton on Saturday - falling to an agonising last-gasp defeat against the Tucker Gardner Premier Division title-challengers.
Gary Freear (42) and David Wood (28) gave Wisbech a chance of chasing Foxton’s score of 170 at Harecroft Road before a flurry of wickets left the home side looking doomed at 121-8.
A ninth-wicket stand of 38 from Craig Johnson (19) and Drew Jones (15) almost gave Wisbech a miraculous victory - but both fell to Foxton’s spinners in the closing stages.
Wisbech’s spinners Johnson (3-29) and Freear (3-26) had earlier enjoyed their own success to restrict the visitors.
• WISBECH II held their nerve to record a two-wicket win over Milton on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Lyndon Waters (3-24) and Ryan Van Waterschoot (3-37) were the chief destroyers as Milton were dismissed for 136.
Wisbech struggled in reply but wicketkeeper Matt Esser (51) hit a fluent half-century to see them to victory.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 4 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 5 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 6 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 7 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 8 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 9 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 10 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
The second-team were less successful on Sunday as they suffered a four-wicket defeat to Barnack in Rutland Division Five.
Esser (64) was again in the runs as Wisbech posted 210-6 but, despite two wickets each for Drew Jones and Adrian Peck, Barnack got home with an over to spare.
• WISBECH III cruised to a nine-wicket win in their Cambs Junior 2A relegation clash with Chatteris II on Saturday.
John Mallett, Martin Parrin and Harry Johnson all took two wickets as Chatteris reached 132-7 before Tom Coates (65 not out) and Charlie Wood (65 not out) eased Wisbech home.
• WISBECH IV suffered their tenth defeat of the season with a 41-run loss against Willingham.
Harrison Smith (3-42), Nick Drew (2-17) and Tom Chapman (2-16) helped skittle Willingham for 119 but only Tom Chapman (35) reached double figures as Wisbech folded for 78.
• WISBECH also won both their games during a midweek tour to Essex.
Ivan Burgess put in a sensational all-round performance, hitting 70 before taking 5-26 to help Wisbech beat Rayleigh by 24 runs.
Danny Emmington was the hero in a four-wicket win over Rettendon. The all-rounder hit 71 not out after Drew Jones had earlier taken 3-15.
• LEVERINGTON confirmed promotion from Cambs Junior 2A with an eight-wicket thumping of Longstanton Grasshoppers.
Aaron Cobb (4-29) helped dismiss Longstanton for 97 before Jacques Steynberg (50) and James Dod (25 not out) eased them home.
Leverington have cruised to promotion with 12 wins from 14 games and will now look to secure the title.