Cricket round-up: Waters bags six wickets as Wisbech Town enjoy best weekend of season
WISBECH Town enjoyed their most successful weekend of the cricket season so far by recording a series of crushing victories.
While the first team ended their nightmare start with an overdue win, seamer Lyndon Waters’ inspired new-ball spell helped the second team thump Wilbrahams at Harecroft Road.
Waters took for 6-21 while fellow opening bowler Kieran Haynes took 4-36 to skittle the visitors out for just 122.
Carl Pope (43 not out) and Adrian Clare (31) batted sensibly to ease Wisbech to a five-wicket win.
• BOTH the club’s Sunday teams also bagged comfortable victories. The first team beat Oakham by seven wickets in the Rutland League Division Two.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Freear took 6-50 as Oakham finished on 241 all out before brother Simon (69), James Williams (49 not out) and Sam Albutt (57 not out) blasted Wisbech to victory inside 40 overs.
Keith Jakings’ 78 set up a 139-run win for the second team over Kimbolton and Catworth.
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 5 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 6 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 7 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 8 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 9 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
Adrian Peck (4-15), John Mallett (2-15) and Martin Parrin (2-14) were the chief destroyers as Kimbolton and Catworth folded for 102 in reply to Wisbech’s total of 241-8.
• IT was a different story for Wisbech III on Saturday as they were beaten by an in-form Leverington side.
Ricky Brown (4-25) was Leverington’s best bowler as Wisbech stuttered to 154-9 thanks to knocks of 41 not out from Dan Martell and 34 from Dan Mason.
But Leverington’s batting line-up made short work of the total, with openers Simon Gilbert (49) and Adam Fairbrother (57) putting on 119 for the first wicket to set up an impressive seven-wicket victory.
• A FANTASTIC partnership between Al Hanrahan and Dean Dodman was not enough to stop Wisbech IV falling to a 23-run defeat against Burwell III.
Nick Drew (4-30) rattled through Burwell’s middle order but sensible knocks lifted them to 212-7 off 40 overs.
Hanrahan (82) and Dodman (62) got Wisbech close in reply but with nobody else reaching double figures, the innings crumbled to 189 all out.