Cricket round-up: Nightmare weekend for Wisbech while Leverington stay top
AFTER derby-day disappointment on Saturday, Wisbech’s first team suffered another setback with a six-wicket defeat to Orton Park in Rutland Division Two on Sunday.
Carl Pope top-scored with 65 as Wisbech reached 189-9 off their 45 overs. Simon Freear took two wickets in Park’s reply but it was not enough to stop the Peterborough side cruising to victory with five overs to spare.
• THERE was also defeat for Wisbech II on Sunday as they crumbled to 117 all out against Thrapston.
Only Lyndon Waters (36) and Ryan Van Waterschoot (24) reached double figures in the miserable total.
Brad Apted took two wickets in his opening spell as Wisbech threatened a comeback but Thrapston sneaked home with three wickets to spare.
You may also want to watch:
• WISBECH II’s nightmare weekend began on Saturday with a seven-wicket defeat to Cottenham.
Opener Danny Haynes top-scored with 48 as Wisbech reached 145-8 off their 45 overs. Zak Brown took 2-16 but Cottenham eased to victory with around 10 overs to spare.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 7 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 8 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 9 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 10 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed
• WISBECH IV were skittled for 94 in a five-wicket defeat to Willingham on Saturday.
Opener Martin Knowles top-scored with 24 but the innings collapsed, with only three players reaching double figures.
David LeMoir (4-20) briefly put Willingham on the back foot but they recovered to reach their modest target in the 37th over.
• JACQUES Steynberg smashed 68 as table-topping Leverington thrashed rivals Chatteris II on Saturday.
Steynberg combined with James Dod (35) to put on 95 for the third wicket and help Leverington set 181-9.
The visitors then took control with the ball as John Gill (3-17) and Simon Gilbert (3-0) ripped through the Chatteris batting line-up. Steynberg, Ian Cooper and Aaron Cobb were also in the wickets as Chatteris limped to 88 all out.
FOR REACTION FROM SATURDAY’S DERBIES AT HARECROFT ROAD SEE THIS WEEK’S PAPER.