Cricket round-up: Leverington march towards league title while Wisbech lose thriller
RAMPANT Leverington continued their cruise towards the Cambs Junior 2A title with a nine-wicket win over Little Downham on Saturday.
Ricky Brown (4-18), James Barnard (2-14) and John Gill (2-1) were the chief destroyers as Downham were shot out for 89.
Opener Jacques Steynberg’s quickfire 68 helped table-topping Leverington race to their target - keeping them firm favourites for the league title.
• A LAST-WICKET stand of 20 left Wisbech frustrated on Saturday after they fell to a one-wicket defeat against Tucker Gardner Premier Division strugglers Cambridge Granta II.
Carl Pope (65 not out) and Henry Rosier (44) powered Wisbech to 201-5 before captain Gary Freear decided to declare with two overs to go.
You may also want to watch:
But the extra 12 balls would prove vital for Granta, who secured a thrilling win with one wicket remaining in the last over. Spinners Craig Johnson (4-62) and Freear (3-61) had put Wisbech in control before Granta’s fightback.
• WISBECH II skittled Ely for 89 to secure a 92-run win in Cambs Senior Division 2 on Saturday.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 3 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
Dom Stannard (36) top-scored as Wisbech managed 181-8 in their 45 overs. In reply, Ely couldn’t cope with Wisbech’s powerful bowling attack as Mark Sheppard (3-22) and Ryan Van Waterschoot (3-9) dominated.
• WISBECH III were plunged further into the Cambs Junior 2A relegation mire as they fell to a six-wicket defeat against Needingworth.
Nick Pack (35) and James Sheppard (16) were the only Wisbech batsmen to reach double figures as they folded for just 91.
Martin Parrin and Adrian Peck took two wickets each in Needingworth’s reply but Wisbech were beaten inside 25 overs.
• WISBECH IV remain rooted to the foot of Cambs Junior 3A after suffering a seven-wicket defeat against St Ives III on Saturday.
Charlie Wood (35) and Daniel Saberton (36) helped Wisbech reach 190 all out. Brodie Ellis, Harrison Smith and David LeMoir took a wicket each but St Ives cruised to victory with seven wickets to spare.
Both of Wisbech’s games on Sunday were abandoned due to the weather.