Cricket round-up: Leverington clinch title while Wisbech sides enjoy a mixed weekend
RAMPANT Leverington were crowned Cambs Junior 2A champions after they beat Pymoor by 50 runs on Saturday.
Leverington got their revenge against Pymoor - the only side to beat them this year - despite Aaron Cobb top-scoring with just 22. However, 48 extras helped boost their total to 142 all out.
Cobb (4-16) then excelled with the ball, as did John Gill (3-7) to help skittle Pymoor for 92 and secure the title for Leverington.
• CAPTAIN Gary Freear’s knock of 64 wasn’t enough to prevent Wisbech slipping to a six-wicket defeat against Camden.
Even though Wisbech secured full batting points by posting 209-7, Camden reached a revised total of 196 for the loss of just four wickets. Kieran Haynes (2-53) was the pick of Wisbech’s bowlers.
• CHARLES Baxter’s unbeaten half century helped Wisbech II beat Milton by six wickets.
Lyndon Waters (3-25) and Tom Bourne (3-32) ripped through Milton’s batting line-up with Baxter (2-13) joining in on the fun as the visitors struggled to 143 all out.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 3 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 4 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 5 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 8 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 9 Stress, anxiety, mental health and depression prompt rise in days off
- 10 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
Baxter’s fantastic all-round display continued with the bat as his 53 not out and Adrian Clare’s 33 not out eased Wisbech to 146 and a comfortable win.
• WISBECH III beat Soham by seven wickets as captain John Mallett and Martin Parrin ripped through the opposition’s top order.
Mallett (3-15) and Parrin (4-43) were the pick of their side’s bowlers with the Wisbech captain dismissing both of Soham’s openers for a duck.
The visitors recovered to 150 all out but Wisbech breezed to victory thanks largely to Richard Harnwell’s unbeaten 48 and Dom Stannard’s 38.
• WISBECH IV were skittled for a paltry 70 as they slumped to a crushing 215-run defeat against Wimblington.
Brodie Ellis (3-65) toiled valiantly to halt Wimblington’s run charge with David LeMoir (1-51) Tom Chapman (1-72) taking Wisbech’s other wickets.
Chasing a mammoth 285, Wisbech were blown apart with only two batters reaching double figures.
• WISBECH III slipped to a 23-run defeat against March II in Sunday’s Fenland Trophy clash.
Chasing 185-5, Wisbech could only make 162 with their last batsman being bowled in the final over. Dom Stannard scored a dangerous looking 38 before being bowled by March skipper Matt Hubbard.