Cricket round-up: League and cup victories as Wisbech enjoy triumphant weekend
AN INSPIRED weekend saw Wisbech power themselves clear of the Tucker Gardner Premier Division relegation zone before cruising into the final of the John Wilcox Cup.
Craig Johnson (4-52) and Brad Apted (3-25) helped dismiss Nassington for 180 at Harecroft Road on Saturday.
The Freear brothers combined to help Wisbech reach their target with Gary (88 not out) and Simon (37 not out) helping them go 62 points clear of the drop zone.
Things got even better for Wisbech on Sunday as a fine team performance led them to John Wilcox Cup semi-final glory against Oundle Town.
Carl Pope (81) and Ivan Burgess (57) smashed Wisbech to 244 all out. Burgess sealed a fine display by taking 3-27 as Oundle folded for 215. Matthew Parrin (3-16) and Kieran Haynes (3-41) were also in the wickets.
You may also want to watch:
• WISBECH II produced a fine bowling display to beat Girton by 34 runs on Saturday.
Wisbech posted 183-9 with Matthew Parrin (37 not out), Charles Baxter (31) and Danny Haynes (35) leading the way. Fergus Brown (4-24) bowled an inspired spell as Girton were dismissed for 149 in reply.
- 1 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 2 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 4 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
- 5 A141 closed at roundabout after lorry overturns
- 6 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 7 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 8 Mum shares her experience in call for IVF to be reinstated
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn to speak at King's Lynn hospital rally
- 10 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
The seconds fell eight runs short of victory on Sunday against Werrington.
Aussie seamer Drew Jones (5-44) helped restrict Werrington to 213 but a knock of 65 from Nick Pack was not enough to see Wisbech to victory as they were bowled out for 206.
• WISBECH III’s fight for safety in Cambs Junior 2A was boosted by a six-wicket win over Longstanton Grasshoppers on Saturday.
John Mallett took 4-29 as Longstanton were restricted to 168-8 off their 40 overs. Adrian Clare (51) and Gary Alexander (35 not out) eased Wisbech home.
• WISBECH IV were skittled for 58 in a dismal 70-run defeat against Burwell III.
Nick Drew and Matt Duff took three wickets each to shoot Burwell out for 128 but Wisbech’s batsmen crumbled in reply.
• BRODIE Ellis’ five-wicket haul couldn’t prevent Wisbech from falling to a 119-run defeat against Somersham in the Fenland Trophy.
Ellis (5-61) kept Somersham to 224-9 but Wisbech were dismissed for 105 in reply, with Tom Chapman (31) top-scoring.
• WISBECH’S Old Boys took on the club’s first team on Sunday with a minute’s silence held before the game for Eddie Davis and Don Jarvis.
The old boys posted 204 but Brad Apted hit 84 as the first team got home with four wickets to spare.
• LEVERINGTON notched up their 10th league win of the season with a 23-run victory over Needingworth.
Jacques Steynberg (77) and James Dod (56) helped Leverington post 251 before Adam Fairbrother (3-25) and Lee Peck (4-54) helped dismiss Needingworth for 228.