Cricket round-up: Freear’s heroics in vain as Wisbech fall short of shock victory
WISBECH fell 42 runs short of spoiling the party of newly-crowned Tucker Gardner Premier Division champions Ramsey on Saturday - after a captain’s performance from Gary Freear.
The all-rounder took 3-56 and Kieran Haynes took 3-33 as Ramsey - who needed a maximum points win to secure the title - were dismissed for 153.
In reply, Wisbech’s top order were blown away - leaving victory for the visitors looking inevitable. But Freear, batting at number seven, led a miraculous comeback by smashing a spirited 67.
The skipper got support from fellow spinner Craig Johnson (11) but when they were dismissed Ramsey cruised to victory.
• WISBECH finished their Rutland League Division 2 campaign with an eight-wicket defeat to Ufford Park on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Carl Pope (60), Drew Jones (45) and Zak Brown (43 not out) helped Wisbech post 234-8 from their 45 overs.
But, despite a wicket each for Jones and Brown, Ufford coasted to victory with more than two overs to spare.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 3 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage