Cricket round-up: Freear’s heroics in vain as Wisbech fall short of shock victory
WISBECH fell 42 runs short of spoiling the party of newly-crowned Tucker Gardner Premier Division champions Ramsey on Saturday - after a captain’s performance from Gary Freear.
The all-rounder took 3-56 and Kieran Haynes took 3-33 as Ramsey - who needed a maximum points win to secure the title - were dismissed for 153.
In reply, Wisbech’s top order were blown away - leaving victory for the visitors looking inevitable. But Freear, batting at number seven, led a miraculous comeback by smashing a spirited 67.
The skipper got support from fellow spinner Craig Johnson (11) but when they were dismissed Ramsey cruised to victory.
• WISBECH finished their Rutland League Division 2 campaign with an eight-wicket defeat to Ufford Park on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Carl Pope (60), Drew Jones (45) and Zak Brown (43 not out) helped Wisbech post 234-8 from their 45 overs.
But, despite a wicket each for Jones and Brown, Ufford coasted to victory with more than two overs to spare.
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 4 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 5 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 6 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 7 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 8 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks