Cricket round-up: Freear’s heroics in vain as Wisbech fall short of shock victory
WISBECH fell 42 runs short of spoiling the party of newly-crowned Tucker Gardner Premier Division champions Ramsey on Saturday - after a captain’s performance from Gary Freear.
The all-rounder took 3-56 and Kieran Haynes took 3-33 as Ramsey - who needed a maximum points win to secure the title - were dismissed for 153.
In reply, Wisbech’s top order were blown away - leaving victory for the visitors looking inevitable. But Freear, batting at number seven, led a miraculous comeback by smashing a spirited 67.
The skipper got support from fellow spinner Craig Johnson (11) but when they were dismissed Ramsey cruised to victory.
• WISBECH finished their Rutland League Division 2 campaign with an eight-wicket defeat to Ufford Park on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Carl Pope (60), Drew Jones (45) and Zak Brown (43 not out) helped Wisbech post 234-8 from their 45 overs.
But, despite a wicket each for Jones and Brown, Ufford coasted to victory with more than two overs to spare.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 6 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 10 Wisbech boss confident of upturn in fortunes thanks to new-look squad