Cricket round-up: Freear’s fiver can’t inspire Wisbech Town
- Credit: Archant
Gary Freear’s superb haul of 5-11 wasn’t enough to fire Wisbech Town to victory in the Tucker Gardner Division One last weekend.
There were only four runs in it when county rivals Burwell 2nds visited Harecroft Road on Saturday, with the East Cambs side nicking a narrow victory.
Josh Bowers struck 33 and Freear hit 32 before the Fenland side was dismissed for 175, and Freear’s fruitful stint with the ball proved to be in vain as Burwell eclipsed their total with two wickets remaning.
Defeat for Sam Albutt’s men leaves them in eighth in the league standings, with a tough tie against league-toppers, Foxton, awaiting them tomorrow afternoon.
Wisbech Town 2nds were also on the end of a defeat to Cambridgeshire opposition in the CCA Senior Division One North.
Impressive knocks of 63 and 50 from Danny Emmington and Shane Sleath fired Wisbech to 162 against Chatteris Town, but the mid-table side pulled off a shock five-wicket win thanks to contributions from Peter Munns (52) and Ben Chapman (42).
Leverington were the latest side to be beaten by title-challengers Isleham in the CCA Junior Division Two North.
- 1 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 2 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 3 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
- 6 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 7 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 8 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 9 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
Simon Gilbert fell two runs short of a half-century as Leverington posted 128, but second-placed Isleham were able to surpass their total with three wickets in tact.
Harry Johnson hit a half-century as Wisbech Town 3rds battled it out with Chatteris Town 2nds.
Johnson’s 50 helped his side to a healthy total of 172-6, before some expert bowling from Johnathan Garner (6-11) helped dismiss their local rivals for just 42 runs.