Craig crushes Sawston
A BRILLIANT bowling performance from Craig Johnson helped Wisbech I to victory in their Tucker Division One match at Sawston. The home side struggled in the face of a brilliant spell of bowling from Johnson (5-20) and with Brad Apted chipping in with 2-32
A BRILLIANT bowling performance from Craig Johnson helped Wisbech I to victory in their Tucker Division One match at Sawston.
The home side struggled in the face of a brilliant spell of bowling from Johnson (5-20) and with Brad Apted chipping in with 2-32 Sawston limped to 159-9.
Wisbech lost Simon Freear early on but Gary Freear (45) and Sam Albutt did enough to turn things around and push Wisbech to 161-7.
Sunday was not such a good day for the first team who suffered a 24-run defeat at Nassington in the Rutland League.
You may also want to watch:
The home batsmen proved difficult to remove and Nassington reached a good total of 240-5.
Wisbech never recovered from the loss of early wickets and despite a superb 94 from Adie Peck and a gutsy 29 from John Mallett, the visitors fell short.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 4 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 5 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
The Wisbech second team produced a good effort to beat Buckden in Hunts Division Two.
Controlled bowling from Dominic Stannard (2-39) and Lee Peck (2-40) helped to limit the home side to 180-6.
Adi Clare (40) and Jordan Trundle (38) put on 90 for the first wicket and Adie Peck continued his batting form to score 57 not out and guide Wisbech to victory with seven wickets intact.
Wisbech outclassed Upwell in their West Norfolk Division Three derby and ran out winners by 156 runs.
A sparkling innings from Richard Harnwell (63) was supported by Declan Smee (47) and Ken Smart (26) as Wisbech reached an imposing 244-7.
Upwell had no answer to the Wisbech bowlers and Lyndon Waters (4-28) and John Mallett (3-11) dismantled the visitors' innings for just 88 runs.
The most convincing victory of the weekend came from Wisbech IV who smashed their way past Fakenham IV in West Norfolk Division Five.
Matthew Esser (4-14) started the onslaught and Ryan van Waterschoot (4-8) took a hat-trick to finish off the Fakenham innings for just 51.
The visitors were soon on their way home after openers Howard Atkins (25 not out) and Dan Martell (20 not out) pushed Wisbech to 53 without loss.
- WISBECH are out of the John Wilcox Cup after a semi-final defeat at Stamford on Sunday.
Henry Rosier (55) and Robbie Harris (31) put on 66 for the sixth wicket but the Wisbech total of 147 all out was never going to be enough.
Mark Sheppard (3-40) and Craig Johnson (2-16) tried hard to break down the home side but Stamford reached their target with three wickets remaining.