Confident Wisbech beat local rivals to stretch unbeaten run to seven games
Ridgeons Premier Division: Ely City 2 Wisbech Town 3
WISBECH Town cruised to their fourth win in a fortnight as they came from behind to beat local rivals Ely City last night.
The Fenmen were inspired by recent signing Paul Jones, who netted a brace to help them triumph 3-2.
Ely had taken an early lead through Andy Pettit as they dominated the first half at The Unwin Sports Ground.
But Wisbech were level just before the break, when former Soham ace Jones converted Matt Lunn’s cross.
You may also want to watch:
Tactical changes at half time tightened the Fenmen’s grip on the game and they went ahead four minutes into the second half.
After the ball broke to Lewis Thompson in midfield, he waltzed past the Ely defence and lashed a 20-yard drive past the keeper.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 4 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 7 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 8 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 9 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 10 Noise warning issued amid RAF Lakenheath flight training
The home side equalised six minutes later through Robbie Mason, but it was the Fenmen who had the final say when Jones volleyed the winner just after the hour mark.
The win leaves Wisbech sixth in the Ridegons Premier Division, stretching their unbeaten run to seven games.
The Fenmen will attempt to take this strong recent form into Saturday’s away game with second place side Kirkley and Pakefield.