Confident Wisbech beat local rivals to stretch unbeaten run to seven games
Ridgeons Premier Division: Ely City 2 Wisbech Town 3
WISBECH Town cruised to their fourth win in a fortnight as they came from behind to beat local rivals Ely City last night.
The Fenmen were inspired by recent signing Paul Jones, who netted a brace to help them triumph 3-2.
Ely had taken an early lead through Andy Pettit as they dominated the first half at The Unwin Sports Ground.
But Wisbech were level just before the break, when former Soham ace Jones converted Matt Lunn’s cross.
Tactical changes at half time tightened the Fenmen’s grip on the game and they went ahead four minutes into the second half.
After the ball broke to Lewis Thompson in midfield, he waltzed past the Ely defence and lashed a 20-yard drive past the keeper.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 3 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
The home side equalised six minutes later through Robbie Mason, but it was the Fenmen who had the final say when Jones volleyed the winner just after the hour mark.
The win leaves Wisbech sixth in the Ridegons Premier Division, stretching their unbeaten run to seven games.
The Fenmen will attempt to take this strong recent form into Saturday’s away game with second place side Kirkley and Pakefield.