Confident Wisbech beat local rivals to stretch unbeaten run to seven games
Ridgeons Premier Division: Ely City 2 Wisbech Town 3
WISBECH Town cruised to their fourth win in a fortnight as they came from behind to beat local rivals Ely City last night.
The Fenmen were inspired by recent signing Paul Jones, who netted a brace to help them triumph 3-2.
Ely had taken an early lead through Andy Pettit as they dominated the first half at The Unwin Sports Ground.
But Wisbech were level just before the break, when former Soham ace Jones converted Matt Lunn’s cross.
You may also want to watch:
Tactical changes at half time tightened the Fenmen’s grip on the game and they went ahead four minutes into the second half.
After the ball broke to Lewis Thompson in midfield, he waltzed past the Ely defence and lashed a 20-yard drive past the keeper.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 10 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
The home side equalised six minutes later through Robbie Mason, but it was the Fenmen who had the final say when Jones volleyed the winner just after the hour mark.
The win leaves Wisbech sixth in the Ridegons Premier Division, stretching their unbeaten run to seven games.
The Fenmen will attempt to take this strong recent form into Saturday’s away game with second place side Kirkley and Pakefield.