NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Wisbech Town climb into third place after triumphing in nine-goal thriller
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town moved up to third in the United Counties League Premier Division as they held off Cogenhoe United to win a nine-goal thriller.
The Fenmen were quickest out of the traps and found themselves ahead after just two minutes, when Michael Frew headed home Danny Setchell’s corner.
Frew scored his second header of the afternoon in the 20th minute, making the most of a quality delivery form Sam Murphy to the far post.
Gary Setchell’s side continued to threaten and with 55 minutes on the clock Alex Beck looked to have sealed the three points when he added a third to Wisbech’s tally but three Cogenhoe goals in the next ten minutes drew the hosts level in spectacular fashion.
Sean McBride was the first of the Cooks’ players to find a way onto the score sheet, in the 56th minute, before Matthew Long reduced the Fenmen’s lead to just one goal three minutes later and Dan Stevenson’s deflected header completed a remarkable spell to level the scores with 25 minutes remaining.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech rallied and with 77 minutes on the clock Setchell converted a penalty kick, awarded for a foul on Frew, to restore Wisbech’s lead and Frew made it 5-3 five minutes from time., securing the match ball with his third of the afternoon.
Beck added a sixth for the Fenmen two minutes later, securing a 14th league win of the season for his side and keeping them firmly in the fold at the top of the table.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 6 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 7 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 10 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
The Fenland Stadium outfit are on their travellers again this week when their travel to Peterborough Northern Star, kick off 7.45pm, who are currently 13th in the Premier Division standings.
Cogenhoe: Lutter, Matiyenga, Gartland, McBride ©, Melling, Stevenson, Taylor, Hynam, Long, Duncan (Southgate 79), Dore. Subs not used: Parkes, Riley, Ansell.
Wisbech: Bastock, Wilson, Yong, Fairweather ©, Bendon, Milson, Murphy, Setchell (Hamilton 79), Frew (Tricks 86), Beck, Ford. Subs not used: Smith, Stevens.
Referee: Mr J Woolmer.