Wisbech tennis youngsters shine bright as they retain singles titles
- Credit: Archant
Two of Wisbech Tennis Club’s youngest stars produced impressive performances to retain their singles titles for another year.
Sophie Tjurina, 14, and Seth Briggs-Williams, 15, who both attend the town’s Thomas Clarkson Academy, won the honours against Wendy Cropp and club coach Bruno Maraschin respectively.
Hard-hitting shots from Sophie proved decisive as she beat Wendy, a six-time champion, 6-1, 6-0.
In a match that both players showed some exceptional shots, Seth prevailed over Bruno in a tense final 6-4, 6-2.
The club also hosted the plate finals for those knocked out in the first round of the championships.
You may also want to watch:
In the ladies’ match, Jacqui West secured a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Anne Piccaver, while in the men’s, Jason Smith beat Andy Lister in a marathon match, 6-3, 7-6.
Sue Pitcher presented the players with their trophies in front of a socially distanced crowd.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia