Wisbech Tennis Club raise over £25,000 to help fund new courts
- Credit: Archant
Over £25,000 has been raised to help Wisbech Tennis Club with the building of two new courts.
The club is contributing the amount, raised from member subs and fundraising over recent years, to help fund the development of two tarmacadam courts, which is expected to take 10 weeks to complete.
The new courts will provide players with a choice of surfaces to play on, alongside the two existing all-weather artificial clay courts built in 2014.
Club member John Jewson has also helped with the initial groundworks by removing soil from the site, free of charge.
A Wisbech Tennis Club spokesperson said: “This latest project is only possible due to a great deal of hard work from members of the committee to apply for, and secure the funding from a number of different sources. These include Amey, Cambs LTA, Robert Hall Trust and Sport England.
You may also want to watch:
“Thank you to everyone who has supported the club during this period, particularly the fundraising events and 100 Club.”
The club’s finals day singles and plate championships will take place on Sunday, September 13, with the plate finals starting at 10.30am followed by the ladies and men’s singles finals at 12.30pm.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
There will also be a Fed style tournament from 3pm the same day.
Wisbech Tennis Club’s annual general meeting will be held on Saturday, September 19 at 4pm in the club’s car park to enable social distancing, and everyone is welcome.
For more information on the club’s events, visit http://www.wisbechtennisclub.org.uk/.