Chattteris boxer meets former world champion Ricky Hatton and asks to spar with him
BOXER Jordan Gill s career prospects took a major boost last week when he won a prestigious award, was tipped to become a British champion and met former world champion Ricky Hatton. Gill, 15, from Chatteris attended an England ABA schools training camp i
BOXER Jordan Gill's career prospects took a major boost last week when he won a prestigious award, was tipped to become a British champion and met former world champion Ricky Hatton.
Gill, 15, from Chatteris attended an England ABA schools training camp in Manchester.
Coaches singled him out from around 30 boxers for the Most Skilled Senior Boxer award.
Advanced ABA boxing coach Frank Collison said: "The thing that impressed me the most was Jordan's attitude. When I said we would meet Ricky Hatton, he asked if he could spar with him. That's pretty brave and it showed he wants to learn, but Ricky was not available to spar. Jordan is in good physical condition and has lots of talent. He moves and thinks well in the ring. With a bit of luck he could go far."
You may also want to watch:
Gill did spar with 20-year-old professional Scott Quigg, who is seen as a potential future British champion.
Gill said: "I held my own and managed to cut his nose. Scott told me he thought I could be a British champion by the time I'm 19."
- 1 Emporium takes business to next level
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 MP full of praise as club reaches £90k towards 3G pitch
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
Hatton gave the young boxers a tour of his gym and offered words of encouragement.
Gill said: "He just told me to keep at it, to work hard and give myself the best chance of being the best boxer I can be.