Captain Vickers is four-try hero as Wisbech Rugby Club march on
A CAPTAIN’S performance from Shane Vickers helped Wisbech Rugby Club cruise to their seventh consecutive league win with a 27-0 victory over Ipswich YM.
Centre Vickers scored four tries to help his side maintain their 100 per cent record in Greene King Eastern Counties Division One.
Winger James Napier also crashed over and Mark Laws kicked a conversion as Wisbech, who have only lost once all season, continued their sparkling form on Saturday.
The only negative for the Harecroft Road outfit was the dismissal of prop James Griffin, who was sent off for violent conduct.
Delighted skipper Vickers said: “The scoreline doesn’t really reflect what a hard game it was. They really tested us and the lads played out of their skins in defence.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a great day on a personal level but the whole team were excellent and that’s what matters.”
Wisbech travel to mid-table Southwold on Saturday.
- 1 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 2 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 3 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 4 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 5 New owners of town centre store under fire for flats plan
- 6 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 7 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 10 Man, 21, with 15,000 indecent images and videos plus 'paedophile manual' spared jail
• WISBECH II produced their best performance of the season to thrash rivals West Norfolk II 52-7 on Saturday.
Solomon Prestidge scored a stunning hat-trick as the second string ran in 10 tries in the derby clash.
Rich Pearson, Kerrie McMullen, Ryan Tate, Dave Brodie, Ollie Lake, Nick Thompsett and man of the match Matt Mitchell also crashed over for Wisbech.
Wisbech II host North Walsham II on Saturday.