Captain Vickers is four-try hero as Wisbech Rugby Club march on
A CAPTAIN’S performance from Shane Vickers helped Wisbech Rugby Club cruise to their seventh consecutive league win with a 27-0 victory over Ipswich YM.
Centre Vickers scored four tries to help his side maintain their 100 per cent record in Greene King Eastern Counties Division One.
Winger James Napier also crashed over and Mark Laws kicked a conversion as Wisbech, who have only lost once all season, continued their sparkling form on Saturday.
The only negative for the Harecroft Road outfit was the dismissal of prop James Griffin, who was sent off for violent conduct.
Delighted skipper Vickers said: “The scoreline doesn’t really reflect what a hard game it was. They really tested us and the lads played out of their skins in defence.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a great day on a personal level but the whole team were excellent and that’s what matters.”
Wisbech travel to mid-table Southwold on Saturday.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 8 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 9 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
• WISBECH II produced their best performance of the season to thrash rivals West Norfolk II 52-7 on Saturday.
Solomon Prestidge scored a stunning hat-trick as the second string ran in 10 tries in the derby clash.
Rich Pearson, Kerrie McMullen, Ryan Tate, Dave Brodie, Ollie Lake, Nick Thompsett and man of the match Matt Mitchell also crashed over for Wisbech.
Wisbech II host North Walsham II on Saturday.