Captain Vickers is four-try hero as Wisbech Rugby Club march on
A CAPTAIN’S performance from Shane Vickers helped Wisbech Rugby Club cruise to their seventh consecutive league win with a 27-0 victory over Ipswich YM.
Centre Vickers scored four tries to help his side maintain their 100 per cent record in Greene King Eastern Counties Division One.
Winger James Napier also crashed over and Mark Laws kicked a conversion as Wisbech, who have only lost once all season, continued their sparkling form on Saturday.
The only negative for the Harecroft Road outfit was the dismissal of prop James Griffin, who was sent off for violent conduct.
Delighted skipper Vickers said: “The scoreline doesn’t really reflect what a hard game it was. They really tested us and the lads played out of their skins in defence.
“It was a great day on a personal level but the whole team were excellent and that’s what matters.”
Wisbech travel to mid-table Southwold on Saturday.
- 1 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 2 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 3 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 4 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 7 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Travel firm to send our special Covid carers on a 'thank you' holiday
- 9 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 10 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
• WISBECH II produced their best performance of the season to thrash rivals West Norfolk II 52-7 on Saturday.
Solomon Prestidge scored a stunning hat-trick as the second string ran in 10 tries in the derby clash.
Rich Pearson, Kerrie McMullen, Ryan Tate, Dave Brodie, Ollie Lake, Nick Thompsett and man of the match Matt Mitchell also crashed over for Wisbech.
Wisbech II host North Walsham II on Saturday.